Body Party … well, not really

Violated.-3Sometimes our bodies are trying to tell us something, and yet it seems that we are too “busy” to answer.  Three weeks ago, I started developing this awful pain in the lower left side of my abdomen. To be honest, I assumed that it was the start of my cycle and left it to “mother nature” to run her course.  Naturally, a week in and there was no true cycle in sight, I chalked it up to stress … but when pain began to elevate to a more excruciating level, I knew it was something I couldn’t continue to ignore.  However, out of fear, I did nothing.

You see, I’m a hypochondriac, the second I start to google my symptoms, my mind jumps to the worst conclusions.  Instead of seeing what it could possibly be, I continued to self medicate with midol, because cramps are a bitch, and ibuprofen because, somehow, it always seems to catch that little area in my body that’s hurting at any other time.  It fact, it had gotten so bad that I found myself up, in tears, around 2 AM sitting up and asking what the hell is happening. I honestly wouldn’t have made an appointment without my friend Octavia damn near cussing me out and making me go!

I have to thank her for that push, because after hours in the doctor’s office and being sent to have a cat scan done on my side, I was told that I have a huge cyst on my left ovary.  By huge I mean 5.8 x 6.3 cm; I know, it’s a big bitch. And to think that I was going to continue to self medicate while it would have continued to grow or worse … ruptured. So, here I am on a Saturday night wallowing in self pity because I’m on bed rest and absolutely miserable, but I felt the need to write about this.  Sometimes we are so wrapped up in everything but ourselves. Our body has this crazy way of telling us to slow the fuck down, to stop and listen. Believe me when I say that Octavia is the only reason I went to the doctor, and I’m so grateful that I did. In terms of what’s going to happen next, I don’t really know. I meet with a specialist next week to see if they want to let it go away on its own, or if I need surgery.  I can’t lie and say that I’m totally prepared because I’m scared shitless of whatever outcome it may be. I know, somewhere somebody is saying, “It’s just a cyst,” but imagine if I had continued to let this pain consume me instead of sucking it up and going to the doctor.

The point of all of this is to say that when you’re feeling pained … when something doesn’t feel right, do not ignore it.  Our bodies aren’t perfect in any way, shape, or form, but what something is happening, it will find a way to let you know.  Listen to your body. I promise, she knows a lot more than we think, sis.

9 thoughts on “Body Party … well, not really

1. Leigh Dennis says:

Girl I had the same issue with dealing with pain in the same area 7 1/2 years ago. I had ignored the pain and was popping Tylenol like it was candy for quite a while. Finally I caved in and went to the Dr because I could no longer stand up straight. After an internal ultrasound and then a CT scan they discovered a 8 1/2 cm mass on my right ovary. They told me it might also have been my uterus causing the issue so we decided to do a hysterectomy, they left my left ovary in because there was no issue and they didn’t want to force me into early menopause. They weren’t sure if it was cancer…I got good news though it wasn’t cancer! It scared the shit out of me and I WILL NEVER IGNORE MY BODY AGAIN. I got lucky that time!! I’ll be praying for you and hope for a positive outcome 🙏❣️

• Alana Patrick says:

OMG Leigh! I had no idea, that is so scary! I’m so glad I didn’t put mine off any longer, but it’s so frustrating because now that I’m in so much pain, it’s so hard trying to explain HOW I’m feeling. I just know that my body is like, on rebel mode. All know is that I will never ignore my body ever again. I don’t want to have a hysterectomy, just yet, because I need to have at least one baby. Oh my gosh, can you imagine a baby Alana? LOL!

2. Lynyadia says:

Thanks for this. I’m usually like you. Pain comes I take it like a G and never wanna go see about it. It may be because of fear but I really need to stop doing that. My mom thought she had a cyst for the longest and never went to the doctor about it. Monrhs after being in pain, she finally went and learned all the while it was a tumor and she had cancer. So you are right we gotta listen to our bodies!!

• Alana Patrick says:

I can’t believe that happened! I’m so glad that your mom didn’t put it off any longer, it’s definitely scary but ignoring messages from our bodies could be so detrimental!

3. Courtney says:

After I had my IUD put in I had cysts and oh my god the pain! I too put off going to the doctor at times, but as I get older I try not to ignore my symptoms. Please make sure you educate yourself about your options before going to the doctor. I do wish you well and next time don’t wait to make an appointment!

• Alana Patrick says:

Thank you, Courtney! You’re right, there are so many options. It was like as soon as I went I kept hearing about surgery and potentially causing more damage to the body. I’m sure surgery is a great option, but there have to be other ways to lessen the pain and not cause the body such much stress. I’m still doing my research! They suggested getting an IUD, but I opted just for the pill, so we will see how it goes!

4. htjournals says:

I thought I was the only one that did this. When I feel like something is wrong with me, I google and all of a sudden I have ALL of the symptoms of what i just researched. This actually came jut in time tho. I found out I have a small myoma less than 2 cm. They say it is nothing to worry about, but I will make sure I keep an eye on it so that I don’t push it to the back of my mind and forget about it

• Alana Patrick says:

Yes sis, make sure you take care of that and know your options! I’m glad I was able to share my story; the female body goes through so much, people don’t even know the half of it! I will be keeping you in my thoughts, Queen!

5. AprilNewlyMe says:

First of all I’m sorry your going through this! It’s not “just a cyst”. Honestly going through something similar and it’s scary af ! So trust me I know. Praying for your health & peace of mind girl. Hang in there.